As the year end draws in it is often a time for reflection. I like to take time thinking about what has worked and not during the year. It is also important to learn from mistakes so that the next year is better and brighter.
We all make mistakes
Its good to know that we all make mistakes, that we are all human. If I look back even in the last month I can think of a number of things I have got “wrong” from forgetting a cable for my laptop to buying the same person 3 Christmas presents by accident. I learned that no matter what the time is I need to do a final check of my training equipment before I leave the house, and to make a list of presents bought on my phone for future reference.
Sometimes we make mistakes because we have challenged and stretched ourselves. Our mistakes are a “badge of honour” as we put ourselves out there to try something new. They can be the stepping stone to amazing opportunities, without a few mistakes you might even wonder if you have pushed yourself far enough?
Learning from mistakes
As Thomas Edison, the inventor of the light bulb and holder of over 1000 US patents said “I have not failed 10,000 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 10,000 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.”
Now there is a man who literally found a brighter future by learning from mistakes! So what steps can you to to learn from yours?
1. Make time, find space to reflect on what has happened in your year. This is important for your growth so make sure you give it the focus it needs.
2. Think what hasn’t worked and why? Be objective, look at what you did without criticism, it happened there is nothing you can do now but learn from it.
3. Don’t forget to look at and learn from the things you did well too!
4. Ask yourself what could you have done differently this year? If you can’t think of something, think about someone you admire, what would they have done?
5. In light of this, how will you change in the future? Is this something you can do yourself or do you need help and support from others? Make a plan of what you will do and commit to it.
6. Imagine and believe in the difference that this will make. This final stage is the most important part and it takes us back to our foundations of confidence and self belief. Take a moment to visualise the future and how it will be when you make those changes. See it, feel it and believe it !
For more information about Limitless for Life and how we can help you have a brighter future click here to contact us.